Friday 9 March 2012

Don't worry baby...

Posted by Cheryl at 18:14
Wow apoligies I haven't been very good with my blog this week! I have had a bad time with my anxiety the past few days and also been sooo tired but good news for me is that I will be off for an Easter break in 3 weeks time. It is starting to feel like Spring now, walking home from work it was lovely to see all the blossoms on the trees-it is definitely my favourite season :) I haven't done much this week other than work, go home and just max out on the sofa! This weekend should be nice though, am going to Kew Gardens (weather permitting), Michael and I went there about 5 years or so when we first started going out so I think it's time we go again...and of course, we have a 2 for 1! ;)

  Anyway as I mentioned, my anxiety hasn't the best recently. Over the years I have developed a few de-stressing strategies which I thought I would share. Obviously they do not work for everyone and each individual has their own way of coping but I'll share anyway.

+ Reading
It seems pretty obvious but reading helps me with my anxiety-I recently read a fantastic book which took my mind off my worries-it keeps me busy which I think is my way of coping. I am in need of a new book though-any recommendations?!

+ Talking to others
I always share how I feel with someone, it's a cliche but SO true-a problem shared is a problem halved and I don't think I would cope if I kept it all locked up inside.

+Organisation
Keeping organised helps me with my anxiety. If there is a situation I am worried about I will usually write it down, make lists, plans etc. I think my anxiety stems from my fear of the unknown-I like to know what is going on. I use my diary to keep note of any particular worries and then I cross them off when they are either 'solved' or no longer a worry. If the worry is still there after a while, I make a conscious decision to get rid of it!

+Keep focused and busy
For me to cope with my anxiety I need to keep my mind active and this could be from writing, watching a DVD, reading, exercising or, writing this blog! The more time you have to think, you more time you have to reflect and don't think that is always a good thing to be honest.

+Music 
Music is a fantastic way of keeping the mind relaxed or to ease your mood-although I keep my One Direction obsession to myself as no one in my household quite appreciates it ;)I tend to think relaxation music is a bit of a waste of money; sometimes a loud angry song is just what you need.

+Consequences
If I am worried about a situation, I will sometimes write down how I feel and then write down the "worst case scenerio", seeing it down on paper helps me to anaylyse why I feel like I do and discover that things aren't as bad as they seem.

I hope these tips help someone anyway :) I am going to try and make the most of this weekend and get some work done but also get some sleep! Have a good one everyone xoxo
 

 

 

 


5 comments:

Unicorn USA said...

Have a lovely time at Kew Gardens hun! It's such a beautiful place.

Great de-stressing tips, totally agree with you on them all :) :)

_ said...

Love your blog hun, hope you both had a fab time at Kew Gardens, I went with mum a few months ago and we got so knackered we could only do half of it! I suffer from anxiety too and your tips are really good especially reading, I read cheesy regency romance books as they take me away to another place! xx

Cheryl said...

Thanks hun, Kew Gardens is so tiring isn't it! It is great though we couldn't see it all either. I am glad you like my tips, anxiety is horrible but I have found ways to cope-I wouldn't mind trying some romance novels myself! Anything else you find helps with anxiety? xx

_ said...

Glad you both had a fab time at Kew! Did you go in the glass houses? We enjoyed them the most, in one of them we found a victorian staircase which took us up to the roof area which was really cool!

I'm just reading some books at the mo by M.C. Beaton, they come in a series of 6, there's one called 'Travelling Matchmaker' and the series i'm reading at the mo is called 'The Six Sisters'. They're lighthearted but really good! I also like Julia Quinn's books, especially the Bridgerton Series and my current fave author is Victoria Connelly. She's only written a couple of books, they're set in the modern era but most are based on Jane Austen in some way!

Also like you I listen to music on my ipod and watch cheesy old shows on You Tube to help calm me down. I've just finished watching The Bachelor (Gavin Henson one) and Joe Millionaire UK!lol Sometimes I watch my old Jane Austen DVD's (I'm a bit obsessed with that era)!

I also try and do yoga using a DVD but normally end up injuring myself!haha

Me and Craig went to play Squash last week and I was really surprised that it helped me de-stress so much, I guess it was because I didn't have time to think or worry about anything while we were playing!

Hope you're having a lovely week:-)

xxx

Cheryl said...

Hey Tasha, hows it going? I have only just seen this post sorry for my late reply!! Yes we saw the glass houses, was lovely! They sound great, I love Jane Austen. I also love old novels like Jane Eyre! What dvds do you have?

That is so funny, I used to love Joe Millionaire-they are great shows to just relax too, I find when I am focused on something I feel much better.

Hope you're having a good week? xx

Post a Comment

 

Cheryl wants cake Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea