Sunday 17 June 2012

Happy Father's Day

Posted by Cheryl at 16:45
Today is Father's Day and I would like to dedicate this blog post to someone who was a significant man in my life whilst growing up-my Grandad. His name was Carmine Bonito but was known to everyone as Peter. He was Italian with 2 Italian parents called Lucia and Mattio. I love the fact that because of him, I have Italian in my blood and it makes me very proud to talk about. I think he would be very happy to know I am visiting Italy this year and have been twice in the past. He always talked about Italy and taught me lots of Italian phrases, most of which I have forgotton now! He was very proud of his heritage, as am I and I hope one day to visit his homeplace of Salerno in Naples. 


My Grandad, was unfortunately for a lot of his life quite unwell with various illnesses. For the later part of his life, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease which came quite debilitating towards the end but he never ever complained. To me, he was my 'Grandee' and I was his 'Little Junior' even up until I was 18 years old. It always made me feel so happy when we were in eachother's company. When I was younger I wasn't able to see much of him as he lived quite a distance from us but when he moved only a mile away in 1996, our relationship got a lot closer and we were able to develop even more of a Grandfather-Grandaughter bond. He taught me so much about life and I will never forget sitting on his knee and feeling so safe and warm when I was with him-he used to lift me up and pretend I was flying in the air like an aeroplane. He was, to me, my father figure and always supported me in every aspect of my life-visiting school events, being there when I got into college, passing my exams etc. 

Losing him in 2004 was not necessarily a shock as he was so ill but was still devastating for me and my mum-in the most part I felt guilty that I hadn't spent enough time with him in my later teenage years. I was 18 and my head was full of celebrities, going out and having fun. However I have now managed to let go of the guilt I felt about it because I know that he knew I loved him so very dearly. I will never forget how he was there for all my childhood and teenage years and helped shape me into the person I am today.  


This blog is for you Grandad and a very special poem I found online.

Grandfathers are fathers who are grand,
Restoring the sense that our most precious things
Are those that do not change much over time.
No love of childhood is more sublime,
Demanding little, giving on demand,
Far more inclined than most to grant the wings
Allowing us to reach enchanted lands.
Though grandfathers must serve as second fathers,
Helping out with young and restless hearts,
Each has all the patience wisdom brings,
Remembering our passions more than others,
Soothing us with old and well-honed arts.

xoxo 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Cheryl wants cake Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea